The accused politician who was brought to the FCT High Court this morning, January 21, was said to be in handcuffs just like on Tuesday, but they were later removed as he waited to be taken before a judge.
Metuh appeared back in court handcuffs to face fresh charges
Premium Times reports that the EFCC slammed a fresh two-count charge on him over an alleged attempt to destroy a
confessional statement made to its operatives.
Count one of the charge contains the allegation of destruction of a statement he had given at the commission, to prevent it from being produced, while count two of the charge revolves around allegations of mischief, all punishable under section 327 of the Penal Code Act.
The chief judge of the FCT High Court, Justice Bello, noted that the case should not have been brought before him if it was already ongoing at a Federal High Court, but counsel to the EFCC, Sylvanus Tahir, explained that the new charges, filed on January 18, were not the same as those currently being heard at the Federal High Court.
Bello said the EFCC must produce three witnesses during the next sitting without fail and the matter was adjourned till January 25 for hearing of an application for bail.
Metuh has been in detention since Tuesday, January 5. He had been accused of tearing up his confessional statement and there were reports that he would be charged separately for attempting to destroy major evidence in the case against him.
He was recently granted bail, though it is unclear whether he has so far met his bail conditions.
In the original case against Metuh he is facing a seven-count charge of money laundering and corruption.
He is accused of receiving N400 million from the former national security adviser, Sambo Dasuki, which is part of the $2.1 billion meant for the purchase of arms.
While Metuh has not denied receiving the money, he has however refused to make available to the EFCC details of jobs he did for the former president.