konga

Friday, January 8, 2016

How Caroline Yetunde Won Sisi-Oge 2015/2016 Contest


Beautiful Caroline Oresanya, a University of Lagos Creative Arts final year student on whose head now sits the Sisi Oge Pride of Africa crown for 2015/2016, has opened up on how she won the paegent.

In an interview with Vanguard, Oresanya spoke on her plans for her reign and her journey into beauty paegents.
Oresanya also said it was her interpretation of the national costume of the Zulu kingdom that stood her out and won her the award.
She said: “I think my sense of creativity (stood me out). We were at the camp for two weeks and while there, we were engaged in different activities like, cooking, and mind games, talent hunts and much more, and I think I had an edge over all others in all the activities. I came first in the story-telling competition. I was just being creative all along.  I represented the Zulu Kingdom in South Africa but the costume I wore wasn’t what the usual descendant of Zulu will wear.
I wore just a bra and a beaded costume and then a hat. I was just creative with the costumes. I designed my costumes myself, drawing ideas from what we had done earlier in school. We always make costumes in my department at the University of Lagos. I didn’t have any special designer for this contest. My costumes were all self-made and borrowed.
She noted that this was her first beauty paegent although she has worked as a model. “So, this was really a new challenge for me,” she said.
She said she chose to compete in the Sisi Oge paegent because it is different.
“It is a different kind of pageant and unlike other pageants in Nigeria, this one promotes African culture, values and heritage. It takes you back to your roots and forces you to learn more about the African culture and traditions. And besides, unlike other pageants, which lack continuity, the Sisi Oge pageant has continually run for nine years now without ceasing.”
She said she plans to use her new role to positively affect lives and make people happy.
“To achieve that, I’m carrying out a research on the needs of the people around me. Once this is concluded, I should begin work on how to meet their needs. Also, I intend to carry out economic empowerment programmes. Sisi Oge has a strong partnership with the Lagos State Government and I hope to partner the state government as well on my projects. Last yuletide, I worked with children with Down Syndrome, and I believe that is a good starting point for me.”
Read full interview 

No comments:

Post a Comment