konga

Monday, January 11, 2016

Brutal Djokovic buries Nadal to win the Qatar Open

Novak Djokovic produced a flawless performance on Saturday to claim his first title of 2016 with a whirlwind 6-1 6-2 in the final of the Qatar Open.
The win, which lasted 73 minutes, secured the Serb his 60th career title, and takes him past the Spaniard, Nadal, in tennis’s biggest head-to-head battle after 47 games.
Djokovic claims first title of 2016. Image: BBC Sports
Djokovic claims first title of 2016. Image: BBC Sports
“I played pretty much perfect tennis today from the very beginning I managed to get every shot the way I wanted,” said Djokovic afterwards.
“The way I played today gives me great satisfaction.”
The dominant performance from the imperious world no 1 was a clear message that he intends to begin 2016 where he left off last year, where he won three of the four majors.The 28-year-old hit 30 winners, forced seven break points and faced only one himself, which, predictably, he saved.
Throughout the week in Qatar he did not drop a set and his victory means he won the only tournament in which he didn’t make the final in 2015, watched by a full house that included Premier League-bound coach Pep Guardiola.
Nadal was cruelly outclassed by the formidable Serb. Image: ATP
Nadal was cruelly outclassed by the formidable Serb. Image: ATP
World no 5 Nadal tried to stay upbeat after the dismantling, claiming that the Serb had played like never before.
“Well, for the match is easy to analyse,” Nadal said courtside. “I played against a player who did everything perfect. I know nobody playing tennis like this ever. Since I know this sport I never saw somebody playing at this level.”
Source: AFP

No comments:

Post a Comment