konga

Thursday, January 21, 2016

Barcelona star Javier Mascherano sentenced to one year in jail over tax evasion

Barcelona defender Javier Mascherano has been sentenced to a year in prison following tax evasion crimes committed in 2011 and 2012. The 31-year-old Argentine was also fined €815,000 after a verdict was reached in his case on Thursday.
Javier Mascherano bags a one-year jail sentence (Daily Mail)
Javier Mascherano bags a one-year jail sentence (Daily Mail)
It is however unlikely that he’ll serve the time, as he pleaded guilty to the offence, repaid the money owed and paid a hefty fine as recompense.
The two-time Olympic football gold medalist took to twitter to express his regret after t
he judgment was passed by a Spanish regional court.
His statement reads: “I’m a professional sportsman and I don’t know a lot about legal and financial matters.  Therefore I must rely on the people that manage these technical, and for me, complicated, issues.
“All my career I have been an honest and responsible person… I will take this experience that has accosted me as another experience which I will leave stronger and calmed by the fact that I am once again within the law.”
Mascha's teammate Messi is also facing similar charges (Mirror)
Mascha’s teammate Messi is also facing similar charges (Mirror)
It seems to be a worrying occurrence at Camp Nou as Mascherano’s Argentina and Barcelona teammate Lionel Messi is also due in the courts May 3 for hearing into his tax fraud case.
Another Barca star, Neymar, has a pending case with the Spanish authorities over irregularities in his move from Santos in 2013.
Source: Mirror

No comments:

Post a Comment