Soldiers Were Brutally Merciless In Killing Our Members – Shi’ite Group
KILLING OUR MEMBERS – SHI’ITE GROUP
The Shi’ite group told our correspondent yesterday that the killings were so brutal at Gyallesu that even those injured in the shooting were identified and mercilessly killed in cold blood by the soldiers.
The group’s spokesman, Ibrahim Musa, said, “And as at the time of writing this press release, the victims run into their hundreds, if not thousands.”
“Considering the gross violation of fundamental human rights and extrajudicial killings perpetrated by the Nigerian Army, the Islamic Movement hereby condemns these unjustifiable acts.
“We state categorically that the claim by the Army that members of the Movement attempted of assassinate the chief of army staff was a blatant lie as the Army came back to launch their attack more than an hour after the COAS had passed.
“Clearly, the Nigerian government, through its military, is now on rampage, in an all-out war with the Islamic Movement, its members and structures. The scale of this attack would suggest it was meticulously planned by authorities and is now being executed ruthlessly. The alleged attack on COAS Burutai was just an alibi.
“Therefore, with all pointers at the government as the contractor of the killings, we hereby call on well-meaning Nigerians and the international community to intervene and seek redress for the victims and their family members as many innocent people were being killed and many others severely injured.”
On the whereabouts of their leader, the group said: “There is no idea as to the whereabouts of the leader of the Movement, Sayyid Ibraheem Zakzaky, nor his current condition.”
LEADERSHIP’s checks revealed that, in Zaria, that the action to raze the two places to the ground commenced on Saturday night.
Our reporter who visited Hussainiya, the scene of the incident and headquarters of Shi’ite, reports that the area had been set ablaze and demolished, and that by the time of filing this report, the headquarters of Shi’ite was still on fire.
Speaking to LEADERSHIP, one of the residents of Gyellesu, Mal Tukur said, “All residents of the area were advised to vacate the area for security reasons, to enable the soldiers carry out their assignment without hitches.
“That’s why we came out of Gyellesu. Initially, the place was under siege. The residential house of Elzakzaky has been demolished. We had a sleepless night yesterday; there were sporadic shootings in the area throughout the night. We had never experienced this kind of thing in our lives.”
Another source who hinted how 50 Shi’ite followers were killed said that Gyellesu and Hussainiya areas were all cordoned off by security operatives, while movement was strictly prohibited.
However, movement in other places within Zaria and its environs was not restricted as people went about their normal day-to-day activities.
All efforts to get official confirmation about the demolition from the military failed as the telephone line of spokesperson for the Depot Nigerian Army, Cpt Olabisi Ayeni, did not go through.